The History of Bear Valley Springs"As the uniqueness of Bear Valley Springs became apparent, many families moved here permanently."
While the nation had pushed to the western coast, the land the Fikert family settled in 1869 was still isolated and remote. This rich valley that had been virtually hidden for centuries had previously been the untamed realm of the Native Americans. Over the years, after purchasing squatter’s rights to 160 acres, the Fickert’s expanded their holdings. By the 1900’s their ranch encompassed a vast region, approximately 25,000 Acres.
By 1959, the last of the immediate Fickert family were gone, joining their kin who had gone before in the tiny family cemetery just up the hill from the main Fickert house. A quiet rural dynasty had ended.
After long negotiations Dart Resorts purchased the Fickert ranch, in its entirety, from the Fickert heirs. An outstanding ecological organization, resource ecology Associates, were employed by Dart to plan and maintain the original natural value of the property, including wildlife, and Bear Valley Springs was born.
The first sales of the property were in late 1970’s, with a full sales team starting in January of 1971 and the project was sold out in November of 1977. The Bear Valley Springs Community Services District was formed to act as a non-profit organization for management and maintenance of the water, roads, and police protection. At the same time the Bear Valley Springs Property Owners Association was formed to administer the amenity package. These groups acted to insure the upkeep of the facilities of Bear Valley Springs. Many land projects in California have taken on one of the other, but Bear Valley Springs has taken on both entities to protect the stability of the project.
The original concept was a second home destination resort where families could come to spend a weekend or longer and have a complete amenities package. As the uniqueness of Bear Valley Springs became apparent, many families moved here permanently. Some retired and some raised their families. The concept slowly changed from second homes to full time residents, approximately 1,800 homes. But even in these changing clamorous times, the historic legacy of the Fickert family lives on.
By: Fred Trower
Contact the ONLY Commercially Owner and Operated Real Estate Office in BVS!
26900 Bear Valley Road Tehachapi, CA 93561
Bear Valley Springs Realty
Real Estate Office serving Bear Valley Springs and the Greater Tehachapi Area
Tehachapi, CA 93561